Home again

We arrived back in Ohio in the late hours (about 1830) on Sunday.  As predicted, Cincinnati was horrible.  Worse than horrible.  I had misread the sports page and thought that the Bengals had an away game but Nooooooooo it was a home game.  And, it ended about 20 minutes before I hit the South side of Cincinnati.  This meant that the entire population of Ohio was trying to enter the Interstate at the same time I was trying to travel it.  It was stop and go traffic for about 5 miles.  Very exhausting for my clutch foot.

We are home now  though and slowly unpacking the bed of the truck.  Naturally, it is raining while we do this. So we grab something, rush madly for the garage, and then bring it inside for placement.  We decided not to just bring everything in at once and are just doing one thing at a time and putting it where it needs to be right away.

Since it is now Monday, I can report that a good night’s sleep really does wonders.  So does a nice cup of tea after my morning appointment with the Urologist.  He says everything is still there and working as best as it can. When one has lost a kidney to cancer four years ago one is very careful about such things.

I had a very hard time getting my laptop to re-connect to my home LAN.  It kept giving me “You are not connected to a network” but, in fact, I was connected to my LAN and the Web already.  Clearly, Vista was a tad confused as to my status.  As it turns out, my forcible ejection of VMWare (see previous blog entry) caused some ‘holes’ in the Registry that needed to be plugged.  Since I exported each and every Registry key before I deleted it, I was able to browse each one and find the four or five that were necessary to restore IP functionality.  Now, I am back up and running.  It is possible to prune the Registry, but you’d better have a good parachute handy just in case.

Tomorrow I have to take the truck down to Midas and see about getting the exhaust system back into shape.  I mentioned that some holes appeared in the piping and, during the trip, opened up a bit more.  By the time we hit Memphis, there was a distinct rumble developing.  Before we left Texas, I bought a small Carbon Monoxide detector just to be sure – no warnings at all so most of the fumes were vented out from under the truck.  Not surprising, since we had 40 to 45 knot headwinds all the way Northeast.  I could hear my magnetic-mount ham antenna on the roof of the cab lifting up and down a couple of times under a larger blast of air.  Seems as if every time I am traveling, I have a headwind – both ways.

If you are traveling in Tennessee do not – under any circumstances – stay at the Days Inn at Lakeland Tennessee.  This has got to be the worst motel I have ever stayed at including some in the Philippines and other areas.  There was some kind of music festival going on so rooms were scarce and we couldn’t move to a new one.  The refrigerator leaked a huge ring of damp carpet right where we needed to walk; the shower head dropped off the pipe (it actually broke apart when I turned it on); the vanity sink was clogged and took forever to drain; the bath towels looked like dishtowels and were rough with starch, small, and thin; no TV guide to the channels available; no business cards at the front desk for whom to contact; and, finally, no decaffeinated coffee in the morning,  All the above was coupled to an inability to connect to the Internet through their advertised “Free High-Speed Internet” no matter what I did.  The Days Inn website provided a nice “contact us” page to vent on.

Time to get back to unpacking.


One thought on “Home again

  1. Glad you got back safe and sound.
    I hate getting stuck in traffic… or snow… I really should think about stopping driving! haha
    A cup of tea cures everything!
    Hope you catch up with everything soon.
    Unpacking is ok….it’s the washing that follows! :o)

Comments are closed.